The International Programs Office organizes a buddy system whereby exchange students are paired with one or more Memorial students approximately one month prior to their arrival in St. John’s. The primary responsibility of these volunteer buddies is to make your transition into Newfoundland culture enjoyable and worry-free!
Email addresses of buddies and inbound students will be exchanged as soon as the selections have been made. This will allow you the opportunity to email your buddy with any questions you have about coming to Newfoundland, student life, weather, etc. Generally, your buddies will be at a similar academic level and will be able to advise you based upon their university experiences thus far.
Buddies are also responsible to meet you after your arrival in St. John’s, give you a tour of campus and help with administrative tasks such as purchasing health insurance, obtaining a student ID and getting a username & password set for the business faculty computer lab.
Things to do upon arrival:
- Meet with the International Program Officer. The International Programs Office is located on the 2nd floor of the business building (BN2027).
- Visit the International Student Advising (ISA) office to organize your health insurance. The office is located on the main floor of Corte Real (1000A) in the Burton's Pond Apartment Complex.
- Get a student ID card at ANSWERS, third floor of the University Centre (UC3005). This card will be your identification card, library card and debit care for photocopying and printing on campus.
- Go to the Help Desk in the Business Faculty computer lab (BN1012). Ask to be given a username to log onto the network computers and to be put on the Listserv (a forum for student notifications, used text books, social events, etc.). Your username and password will work on all of the computers in the business building (including the classrooms).
- Go to the Help Desk at the QEII Library to obtain a username and password to use the computers in the library and other computer labs throughout campus (except business).