Memorial University is already recognized as being a leader in social enterprise and social entrepreneurship. For example:
- Enactus Memorial has garnered international attention for its community projects that positively impact communities.
- The Faculty of Business Administration’s MBA program was the first in Canada to require a course in corporate social responsibility.
- The Centre for Social Enterprise (CSE) was launched in 2016 and has already taken significant steps in helping to develop the social innovation ecosystem in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Nicole Helwig, director of the CSE, and Dr. Natalie Slawinski, associate professor of strategy at the business faculty, have been named Fellow of Social Innovation at Cambridge University’s Centre for Social Innovation.
- The Memorial Centre for Entrepreneurship is dedicated to promoting and supporting entrepreneurship and developing an active and attractive entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Memorial has a signed memorandum of understanding with the Shorefast Foundation, a social enterprise located on Fogo Island, NL.
The MBA-SEE is a natural progression in our efforts to be a leader in this emerging field. At Memorial, we are committed to developing new business leaders for this new way of doing business. MBA-SEE students will be part of a cohort and will progress together through the various stages of the program, building relationships that will continue to develop long after they have completed the program.