Health Insurance

It is important to understand health insurance coverage and the health-care system in Canada. When international students arrive in St. John's, they must visit the Internationalization Office for information about health insurance.

Students from international partnership degree programs may be eligible for provincial medical care coverage called Medical Care Plan (MCP). To be eligible for MCP, students must have a valid study permit for 12 months or longer and must be attending a post-secondary institution in Newfoundland and Labrador. Students will need to bring their study permit, passport, updated letter of enrollment (different from your acceptance letter), and the completed MCP application form to the MCP office in St. John’s.

All registered international students are automatically enrolled in the Foreign Health Insurance plan at Memorial. If you are successful in receiving MCP coverage, you may opt out of the Foreign Health Insurance plan and transfer to a student union plan.

For more information, contact the International Programs Office in the Faculty of Business Administration or the Internationalization Office at Memorial University.