Graduate Exchanges: Frequently Asked Questions

Who can go on exchange?

MBA students may go on exchange when they have completed 50% of their program.

When can I go on an exchange?

Master of business administration (MBA) students may go on exchange in either the fall or winter semesters. There are also a limited number of exchange options in the summer semester.

What will be my language of instruction?

No matter which partner university you attend, your classes will be offered in English. Some partner institutions require students to take an introductory course in the official language of that country. For example, if you attend LIUC in Italy, you will have to take the equivalent of Introduction to Italian. The purpose of this requirement is to ensure you have adequate basic knowledge to get around while abroad.

How can I increase my chances of getting my first choice of exchange schools?

Research the school and country and include a summary of your research with your application.

How do I find out if I have been accepted for an exchange?

Applicants will be notified by e-mail within two weeks of the application deadline

How can I find out about the schools and countries that are available?

How can I find out about previous student experiences?

  • Debrief questionnaires completed by all previous exchange students are available at the International Programs Office. The debrief forms cover many topics such as courses, accommodations, costs, accessing money, etc.
  • The international program officer (study abroad) has the e-mail addresses of previous exchange students. Most students are happy to be contacted regarding their exchange semester.

How can I make sure I will have all the necessary courses to graduate?

Contact the director of graduate programs:

Rachelle Shannahan
Associate Dean (Course-Based Masters)
Ph: +1.709.864.8522

What documents do I need to study in another country?

A passport is required to travel to most countries. Many countries also require students to obtain a student visa for their semesters abroad. Please visit the website of the closest consulate of your host country for further details regarding visa requirements. Some countries require that students visit the consulate in person to obtain their visa; many of the consulates that serve Newfoundland are located in Montreal or Ottawa.

How can I prepare to study in another country?

Learn about the history, culture, customs, politics and climate of the country. Some sources include former exchange students, debrief surveys, the Internet (e.g. tourism websites) and travel guides (e.g. Lonely Planet and Frommers).

Will I need to get any vaccinations?

Vaccinations are recommended for travel to some of the countries where our partner institutions are located such as Malaysia, China and Mexico. Family doctors can sometimes provide advice regarding vaccinations. Private international travel clinics, such as Jema International Travel Clinic, are also great sources to obtain accurate advice regarding vaccines and general travel health.

JEMA is located at 736 Water Street. You can contact them via phone: 709.738.5362, email: or on the web:

*Please note that there is a consultation fee of $65. Additional charges may be applicable for certain vaccines.