Undergraduate Exchanges: Application Process
The deadline to apply for the Fall 2018 semester is Tuesday, Jan. 30, 2018 at 4:00pm. Completed applications can be brought to BN-2027.
Late applications received throughout the year may be considered depending on availability and partner school deadlines.
Exchange Information Session
An exchange information session is typically held in the second week of the fall and winter semesters for business students interested in studying abroad. Application information and tips will be provided at this session.
Who can go on an exchange?
Students normally go on an exchange in the final year of their studies.
- Bachelor of commerce (B.Comm.) students: Term 6 works best for most students; however, Terms 5 and 7 offer some possibilities as well.
- Bachelor of business administration (BBA) students: should have completed between 72-96 credit hours (i.e. 24-32 courses). Consult the student liaison officer for the BBA program to ensure your intended exchange semester fits with your study program.
- International bachelor of business administration (iBBA) students: should have completed between 72-96 credit hours (i.e. 24-32 courses). Consult the student liaison officer for the iBBA program to ensure your intended exchange semester fits with your study program.
How are students selected?
1) Academic Performance: To be eligible to participate in an exchange semester, undergraduate students must meet the following criteria:
- BBA and B.Comm students: must have a minimum average of 65% over their last 15 courses.
- iBBA students: must have a minimum average of 65% over their last 10 courses.
2) Demonstrated Interest: Students will be required to provide a detailed description of why they have selected a particular exchange location. This should include written summaries of the country, school, courses, and preparation for exchange.
Students should include any interest in international issues such as active membership in international organizations, participation in the MUN Mentors Program, enrolment in courses with an international focus (foreign language, geography, political science, etc.) and previous travel experience in their applications.
All applications must include an up-to-date official transcript and resume. No cover letter is required.
Can students apply once the deadline has passed?
Late applications will automatically be wait-listed and will be considered only if exchange positions remain available. These will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis.
Are scholarships available for exchange students?
There are some scholarships available for undergraduate students participating in study abroad programs. Please visit the the Faculty of Business Administration's scholarship listings and the Scholarships and Awards Office website for more details.
How do I know if I have been accepted for an exchange?
Students are notified of the results by e-mail within two weeks of the stated application deadline.
What happens once I have been accepted for an exchange?
- Obtain a letter of acceptance form from the International Programs Office (IPO). This must be signed and returned to the IPO no later than one week after students are notified of their acceptance.
- At this time students must submit a $250 deposit payable to Memorial University of Newfoundland. The deposit can be paid by cash, cheque, or credit card at the Cashier's Office (A-1023). Students must then bring a copy of the receipt back to the IPO office. Upon satisfactory completion of the exchange semester and additional exchange obligations ( i.e. completing a debrief report and meeting), students will be reimbursed the full amount of $250.
- Students who decide not to participate in the exchange after accepting an exchange position will forfeit their deposit.