Undergraduate Exchanges: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Learn about history, culture, customs and politics.

Who can go on exchange?

B. Comm. students normally go on exchange in Term 6; however, Terms 5 and 7 offer some possibilities as well. BBA and iBBA students should have completed between 72-96 credit hours (i.e. 24-32 courses) in their programs. Students should consult with the academic advisor for their program to ensure their intended exchange semester fits with their study schedule.

When can I go on an exchange?

Students may go in the fall or winter semester. Limited summer semester options are also available.

What will be my language of instruction?

Courses taught at all of our partner institutions, with the exception of Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez (Chile), are offered in English. The Universidad de Vigo (Spain) only offers courses taught in English during the winter semester. Some partner institutions require students to take an introductory course in the official language of that country. For example, if you attend LIUC in Italy, you will have to take the equivalent of Introduction to Italian. The purpose of this requirement is to ensure you have adequate basic knowledge to get around while abroad.

How can I increase my chances of getting my first choice of exchange schools?

Research the school and country and include a summary of your research with your application.

How do I find out if I have been accepted for an exchange?

Applicants will be notified by e-mail within two weeks of the application deadline.

How can I find out about the schools and countries that are available?

  • Visit the Partner Schools section of this web site.
  • Information on each school is also available in the International Programs Office, BN-2027.
  • Talk to the international programs office (study abroad)
  • Attend one of the exchange information sessions hosted in September and January.

How can I find out about previous student experiences?

  • Debrief questionnaires completed by all previous exchange students are available at the International Programs Office. The debrief forms cover many topics such as courses, accommodations, costs, accessing money, etc.
  • The international program office (study abroad) has the e-mail addresses of previous exchange students. Most students are happy to be contacted regarding their exchange semester.

How can I make sure I will have all the necessary courses to graduate?


Ying Zhang
Manager of International Programs
Ph: +1.709.864.4504
Em: international.business@mun.ca

What documents do I need to study in another country?

A passport is required to travel to most countries. Many countries also require students to obtain a student visa for their semester abroad. Please visit the website of the closest consulate of your host country for further details regarding visa requirements. Some countries require that students visit the consulate in person to obtain their visa.  Many of the consulates that serve Newfoundland are located in Montreal or Ottawa.

How can I prepare to study in another country?

Learn about the history, culture, customs, politics and climate of the country. Some sources include former exchange students, debrief surveys, the Internet (e.g. tourism websites) and travel guides (e.g. Lonely Planet and Frommers).

Will I need to get any vaccinations?

Vaccinations are recommended for travel to some of the countries where our partner institutions are located such as Malaysia, China and Mexico. Family doctors can sometimes provide advice regarding vaccinations. Private international travel clinics such as the Avalon Travel Clinic and Jema International Travel Clinic are also great resources to obtain accurate advice regarding vaccines and general travel health.

Avalon Travel Clinic is located on the 3rd floor of the Dominion Memorial Market, 20 Lake Ave. (near Quidi Vidi Lake); 709.579.3797.

*Please note that there is a consultation fee of $50. Additional charges may be applicable for certain vaccines.

Jema International Travel Clinic is located at 736 Water Street. You can contact them via phone: 709.738.5362, by email: jema@nf.aibn.com or on the web: www.jemaclinic.com.

*Please note that there is a consultation fee of $65. Additional charges may be applicable for certain vaccines.