BA, MA, PhD
Dr. Alex Faseruk Chair in Financial Management
Contact InformationPh: 709.864.2069
Dr. Emmanuel Haven earned a bachelor of arts and master of arts in economics from McGill University and a PhD in finance from Concordia University. He’s the former head of the finance division at the School of Business, University of Leicester (United Kingdom).
His research applies concepts from physics to social science. He has published in social science journals such as Journal of Mathematical Economics, Economic Theory, Journal of Mathematical Psychology, European Journal of Operational Research, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, International Review of Financial Analysis, Theory and Decision and Frontiers in Psychology. He also has published in science journals such as Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, Foundations of Physics, Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, Physica Scripta, International Journal of Theoretical Physics, Acta Applicandae Mathematicae, Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology, Annalen der Physik and other journals.
Dr. Haven has been awarded several times a ‘super star award’ from the Students' Union (University of Leicester) for his teaching.
Emmanuel is also the Director of the Interdisciplinary PhD programme at Memorial University.
- Member of the Executive Committee of Senate
- Member of the Full college of the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) (United Kingdom).
- Secretary of IQSCS, a research centre for quantum social and cognitive science at the University of Leicester.
- Member of the board of the International Center for Mathematical Modelling (ICMM) at Linnaeus University (Sweden).
- Member of the Council of the International Quantum Structures Association (IQSA)
- Co-editor of Economics
Grants received from:
- Fund for Scientific Research (FWO) (Belgium) with D. Aerts (Free University of Brussels, Belgium) and B. D'Hooghe: $Can 350,000
- ESRC Research Grant Seminar Funding (UK) with J.Wilson (St. Andrews University, UK); P. Molyneux (Bangor University, UK); S. Fedotov (University of Manchester, UK), M. Duygun (University of Nottingham, UK): $Can 31,000
- Smaller grants from Daiwa Anglo-Japanese Foundation and the British Academy
Invited speaker at:
- Linnaeus University (Sweden)
- University of Oxford (UK) - The Oxford Advanced Seminar on Informatic Structures - - Dept. of Computer Science
- University of Oxford (UK) - The Saïd Business School - Invited Panel Member (Panel 7 -use of technology to extract data from financial market prices) at the ‘The Future of Finance’ conference
- Purdue University (USA) -Winer Memorial Lecture – Dept. Of Psychology
- Fudan University (China) - School of Management
- Imperial College London (UK) – Dept. of Mathematics
- City University (London) – Dept. of Psychology
- Universita di Palermo (Italy) – Dept. of Mathematics
- University of California – Irvine (USA); Institute for Mathematical Behavioral Sciences
- And other universities
Selected refereed journal articles
- Haven, E., Khrennikov, A., Ma, C. & Sozzo, S. (2018). Quantum Probability Theory and its Economic Applications. Special Issue. Journal of Mathematical Economics, (78, 127-197).
- Aerts, D., Haven, E. & Sozzo, S. (2018). A proposal to extend expected utility in a quantum probabilistic framework. Economic Theory, (65, 1079-1109).
- Moreira, C., Haven, E., Sozzo, S., Wichert, A. (2018). Process mining with real world financial loan applications: Improving inference on incomplete event logs. PLOS ONE: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0207806.
- Haven, E. & Khrennikov, A. (2017). The use of action functionals within the quantum-like paradigm. Journal of Mathematical Psychology, (78, 13-23).
- Haven, E,. Sozzo, S. (2017). Special Issue ‘Quantum Structures - Leicester 2016’. International Journal of Theoretical Physics, 56(12), 3717-4142.
- Robinson, T., Haven, E. & Fry, A. (2017). Quantum counting: operator methods for discrete population dynamics with applications to cell division. Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology, (130, 106-119).
- Haven, E. & Khrennikov, A. (2016). Statistical and subjective interpretations of probability in quantum-like models of cognition and decision making. Journal of Mathematical Psychology, (74, 82-91).
- Robinson, T. & Haven, E. (2015). Quantization and quantum-like phenomena: A number amplitude approach. International Journal of Theoretical Physics, (54 (12), 4576-4590).
- Haven, E. & Khrennikov, A. (2015). Editors of the special issue: “Selected papers from the Fields Institute Conference (University of Toronto), ‘Quantum Probability and the Mathematical Modelling of Decision Making’.” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A. Volume 374. Issue 2058. With an editorial from David Garner, FRS, editor-in-chief of Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A.
- Bagarello, F. & Haven, E. (2015). Towards a formalization of a two traders market with information exchange. Physica Scripta. (90(1) 015203).
- Haven, E. & Sozzo, S. (2015). A generalized probability framework to model economic agents’ decisions under uncertainty. International Review of Financial Analysis (47, 297-303).
- Haven, E., Liu, H. & Shen, L. (2012). De-noising option prices with the wavelet method. European Journal of Operational Research (222, 104-112).
- Stradi, B. & Haven, E. (2010). The use of interval arithmetic in solving a nonlinear rational expectation based multiperiod output-inflation process model: the case of the IN/GB method’. European Journal of Operational Research (203 (1), 222-229).
- Haven, E., Liu, H., Ma, C. & Shen, L. (2009). Revealing the implied risk-neutral MGF with the wavelet method. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control (33 (3), 692-709).
- Ishio, H. & Haven, E. (2009). Information in asset pricing: a wave function approach. Annalen der Physik (18 (1), 33-44).
- Haven, E. (2005). Analytical solutions to the backward Kolmogorov PDE via an adiabatic approximation to the Schrödinger PDE. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, (311, 439-444).
- Haven, E. (2002). Fuzzy Interval and Semi-Orders. European Journal of Operational Research (139, 302-316).
Popular science press
- Haven, E. & Khrennikov, A. (2013). Physics goes social: How behaviour obeys quantum logic. New Scientist. (July 3 Issue, 26-27).
- Haven, E. & Khrennikov, A. (2013). Quantum Social Science. Cambridge University Press (Cambridge, UK)
- Haven, E., Molyneux, P. Wilson, J., Fedotov, S. & Duygun, M. (2016). The Handbook of Post Crisis Financial Modelling. Palgrave MacMillan Handbook Series
- Haven, E. & Khrennikov, A. (2017). The Palgrave Handbook of Quantum Models in Social Science. Palgrave MacMillan Handbook Series
- Haven, E., Khrennikov, A. & Robinson, T. (2017). Quantum Methods in Social Science: A First Course. World Scientific Press (Singapore)
- d'Ariano, M., Shao-Ming, F., Haven, E., Hiesmayr, B., Khrennikov, A., Larsson, J-A (Eds.) (2013). Proceedings of Foundations of Probability and Physics -6. American Institute of Physics. New York
- Atmanspacher, H., Haven, E., Kitty, K., Raine, D. (Eds.) (2014). Quantum Interaction. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. LNCS 8369. Springer Heidelberg – New York
- Rangacharyulu, C. & Haven, E. (Eds.) (2009). Proceedings of the First Interdisciplinary CHESS Interactions Conference. With contributions from Dr. Eugene Stanley and Dr. Constantino Tsallis and also Dr. Marcel Ausloos. World Scientific Press (Singapore)
- Rangacharyulu, C., Haven, E. & Juurlink, B.H.J. (Eds.) (2012). The World in Prismatic Views. Proceedings of the Second Interdisciplinary CHESS Interactions Conference. World Scientific Press (Singapore)