- University Research Professor
- Information Systems
Contact InformationPh: 709.864.8183
Dr. Jeffrey Parsons joined Memorial University in 1993, where he served as associate dean (research) from 2003-2007 and 2008-2012.
Dr. Parsons earned an undergraduate degree in business from Memorial and a PhD in information systems from the University of British Columbia. His research interests focus on representing information in ways that better match how humans think about objects in their physical or social environment. His research has been published in journals such as Nature, Management Science, MIS Quarterly, Information Systems Research, Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Journal of Management Information Systems, Communications of the ACM, ACM Transactions on Database Systems, and IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering. He holds research grants from NSERC and SSHRC and has served on grant committees for both funding councils.
Dr. Parsons has held editorial appointments at academic journals (including Information Systems Research and Journal of the Association for Information Systems). He has served as program chair of the AMCIS, ER and WITS conferences.
His research interests focus on: classification in systems analysis and design; crowdsourcing; information quality; data management; design science; recommender systems; object-oriented systems and reuse; and electronic commerce.
- University Research Professor
- Parsons, Jeffrey and Yair Wand, Extending Principles of Classification from Information Modeling to Other Disciplines, Journal of the Association for Information Systems, April 2013, 14(4).
- Browne, Glenn and Jeffrey Parsons, More Enduring Questions in Cognitive IS Research, Journal of the Association for Information Systems, December 2012, 13(12), 1000-1011.
- Lukyanenko, Roman, Jeffrey Parsons and Yolanda Wiersma, Easier Citizen Science is Better, Nature, 2011, 471, 37.
- Parsons, Jeffrey, An Experimental Study of the Effects of Representing Property Precedence on the Comprehension of Conceptual Schemas, Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 12(6), 2011, 441-462.
- Lu, Shan and Jeffrey Parsons, Ontological Rules for UML-Based Conceptual Modeling: Design Considerations and a Prototype Implementation, International Journal of Information Systems Modeling and Design, 2(1), January-March 2011, 24-44.
- Allen, Gove and Jeffrey Parsons, Is Query Reuse Potentially Harmful? Anchoring and Adjustment in Adapting Existing Database Queries, Information Systems Research, 21(1), March 2010, 56-77.
- Parsons, Jeffrey and Yair Wand, Using Cognitive Principles to Guide Classification in Information Systems Modeling, MIS Quarterly, 32(4), December 2008, 839-868.
- Parsons, Jeffrey and Yair Wand, A Question of Class, Nature, 455(7216), October 23, 2008, 1040-1041.
- Dobing, Brian and Jeffrey Parsons, Dimensions of UML Component Use: A Survey of Practitioners, Journal of Database Management, 19(1), January 2008, 1-18.
- Dobing, Brian and Jeffrey Parsons, How UML is Used, Communications of the ACM, 49(5), May 2006, 109-113.
- Parsons, Jeffrey and Linda Cole, What Do the Pictures Mean? Guidelines for Experimental Evaluation of Representation Fidelity in Diagrammatical Conceptual Modeling Techniques, Data and Knowledge Engineering, 55(3), December 2005, 327-342.
- Bajaj, Akhilesh, Dinesh Batra, Alan Hevner, Jeffrey Parsons and Keng Siau, Systems Analysis and Design: Should We Be Researching What We Teach? Communications of the AIS, April 2005, 15(Article 27), 478-493.
- Parsons, Jeffrey and Chad Saunders, Cognitive Heuristics in Software Engineering: Applying and Extending Anchoring and Adjustment to Artifact Reuse, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, December 2004, 30(12), 873-888.
- Parsons, Jeffrey and Yair Wand, Attribute-Based Semantic Reconciliation of Multiple Data Sources, Journal on Data Semantics 1 (LNCS, Vol. 2800), Fall 2003, 21-47.
- Parsons, Jeffrey, Effects of Local versus Global Schema Diagrams on Verification and Communication in Conceptual Data Modeling, Journal of Management Information Systems, 19(3), Winter 2003, 155-183.
- Gallagher, Katherine, Dale Foster, and Jeffrey Parsons, The Medium is not the Message: Advertising Effectiveness and Content Evaluation in Print and on the Web, Journal of Advertising Research, 41(4), 2001, 57-70. [Reprinted in Canadian Advertising Research Foundation Newsletter, October/November 2003, 1-9]
- Gallagher, Katherine, Jeffrey Parsons, and Dale Foster, A Tale of Two Studies: Replicating ‘Advertising Effectiveness and Content Evaluation in Print and on the Web’, Journal of Advertising Research, 41(4), 2001, 71-81.
- Dobing, Brian and Jeffrey Parsons, Using the Internet to Simulate Virtual Organizations in MBA Curricula, Journal of Information Systems Education, 12(1), 2001, 9-14.
- Dobing, Brian and Jeffrey Parsons, Understanding the Role of Use Cases in UML: A Review and Research Agenda, Journal of Database Management, special issue on Systems Analysis and Design using UML, 11(4), October-December 2000, 28-36.
- Parsons, Jeffrey and Dale Foster, Using the Internet to Build Realism in Teaching Requirements Analysis, Journal of Information Systems Education, 11(3-4), 2000, 141-146.
- Parsons, Jeffrey and Yair Wand, Emancipating Instances from the Tyranny of Classes in Information Modeling, ACM Transactions on Database Systems, 25(2), June 2000, 228-268.
- Parsons, Jeffrey and Yair Wand, Using Objects for Systems Analysis, Communications of the ACM, 40(12), December 1997, 104-110.
- Parsons, Jeffrey and Yair Wand, Choosing Classes in Conceptual Modeling, Communications of the ACM, 40(6), June 1997, 63-69.
- Parsons, Jeffrey, An Information Model Based on Classification Theory, Management Science, 42(10), October 1996, 1437-1453.
- Wand, Yair, David Monarchi, Jeffrey Parsons, and Carson Woo, Theoretical Foundations for Conceptual Modeling in Information Systems Development, Decision Support Systems, 15(4), Fall 1995, 285-304.