BA, MIR, PhD
- Human Resource Management
- Labour Relations
Contact InformationPh: 709.864.2615
Dr. Travor C. Brown is a Professor of Labour Relations and Human Resources with Memorial University and a former President of ASAC (the Administrative Sciences Association of Canada). He has taught at Memorial University, the University of Toronto and University of Ulster. Since joining Memorial University, he has also served as the Associate Dean (Research) and the Director of the Master of Employment Relations program. Dr. Brown has been appointed to the provincial roster of arbitrators.
Dr. Brown has authored over 30 peer-reviewed journal articles, a textbook and over 70 conference presentations. He has also been the sole investigator on two national, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) grants. Much of his research examines issues concerning goal setting and training effectiveness, with special focus on management and leadership development.
Dr. Brown’s academic background is coupled with extensive industry experience. He worked in the telecommunications and manufacturing sectors prior to completing his PhD at the University of Toronto and remains active in the practitioner community. Given this background, Dr. Brown is well known for this ability to engage both practitioner and academic audiences and to show the ‘real world’ implications of his research.
- Brown, T.C, O’Kane, P., Mazumdar, B., & McCracken, M. (in press). Performance Management: A Review of the Literature and an Agenda for Future Research. Human Resource Development Review.
- Brown, T.C, & Latham, G.P. (2018). Maintaining Relevance and Rigour: How We Bridge the Practitioner-Scholar Divide within Human Resources Development. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 29 (2), 99-105.
- McCracken, M., O’Kane, P., Brown, T.C., & McCrory, M. (2017). Human Resource Business Partner Lifecycle Model: Exploring how the Relationship Between HRBPs and their Line Manager Partners Evolves, Human Resource Management Journal, 27 (1), 58–74.
- Brown, T., Warren, A. M., & Khattar, V. (2016). The Effects of Different Behavioral Goals on Transfer from a Management Development Program. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 27 (3), 349–372.
- Brown, T. & Hanlon, D. (2016). Behavioural Criteria for Grounding Entrepreneurship Education and Training Programs: A Validation Study. Journal of Small Business Management, 54 (2), 399–419.